Versatile Freezer Stash Ideas to survive the Summer!
With the summer holidays not too far away, having a freezer full of quick nutritious food for those hangry hot and bothered babies whilst your other children are on summer break, will totally save your sanity!
We've put together those recipes that could be served for any mealtime or snacktime. Plus, these recipes are certain to be a hit with everyone in the family as well. Stocking up the freezer is also a great way to use up fresh ingredients, preventing them from becoming waste.
Homade Tomato Wraps
These delicious wraps are super healthy and are very yummy served with cream cheese and chives. Recipe by @weaningwithteddy
2 salad tomatoes
100g plain flour
1. Blend all the ingredients together and fry with oil like a pancake.
Keep in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 6 months, pull out a wrap and leave to dethaw for an hour or two before serving.
These are super easy to make with whatever you’ve got in the fridge that needs using up and some puff pastry. Recipe by @startingsolids
1 packet of puff pastry
1 cup of leftover turkey / chicken / bacon / ham / veggie sausages / stuffing
1 cup grated cheese of choice
cranberry sauce or chutney (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 190c
2. Unroll your pastry & cut into 6
3. Place the pastry rectangles onto a lined baking tray
4. Spread a little cranberry sauce or chutney on each piece of pastry if using
5. Place a decent dessert spoon of your filling of choice (these were shredded chicken & ham) diagonally in the centre of the pastry shapes. Leaving a space by two of the corners to fold across
6. Sprinkle cheese on top of filling and close by folding over the two corners
7. Brush with a little beaten egg or milk
8. Sprinkle a bit more cheese over if there’s any left
9. Bake for 15 - 20 mins until cooked through and golden
A great to make ahead and freeze for lunches. Either take out the day before and defrost in the fridge overnight or bake from frozen for 35 mins.
Red Lentil Veggie Balls
These are great for little weaning hands for both lunch, snacks and dinner too. They would also make a great nutritious picinic addition too. Recipe by @sisieatswell
1 cup red lentils (cooked and blended)
1 small courgette (zucchini), grated
1 small sweet potato, cooked and mashed
1/2 cup grated cheese (such as cheddar or mozzarella)
1/4 cup breadcrumbs (you can use whole wheat breadcrumbs for added nutrition)
1 teaspoon dried herbs (such as oregano or basil)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Rinse the red lentils thoroughly and cook them according to the package instructions until they are soft. Drain any excess water, and blend them in a food processor.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked lentils, grated courgette, mashed sweet potato, grated cheese, breadcrumbs, and dried herbs. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly combined.
4. Take a tablespoon-sized portion of the mixture and roll it into a ball using your hands. Place the ball onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat this process until all the mixture is used, leaving a little space between each lentil ball on the baking sheet.
5. Bake the lentil balls in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until they are golden brown and firm.
6. Once baked, remove the lentil balls from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes before serving. They will firm up a bit more as they cool.
Pesto and Veggie Muffins
Muffins are a great way to encourage those fussier eaters to enjoy some veggies at lunchtime and snacktime too. Recipe by @littleyummytum
250g self raising flour
2 tbsp greek yoghurt
2 tbsp pesto
1tsp garlic granules
60g grated cheese
Handful of mixed veg (frozen works)
1. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and pour into lined muffin tins.
2. Pop in the oven at 180 for 30 minutes (untill skewer comes out clean)
These muffins can be stored in an airtight container or frozen for 3 months.
Cream Cheese Biscuits
These literally taste like mini scones. Great for snacking & only 3 ingredients needed. Recipe by @littleyummytum
1. Add to a large bowl 160g self raising flour, 150g cream cheese & 40g unsalted butter (melted)
2. Mix together to form a dough
3. Optional - Add grated cheese (generous handful) and 1 tsp ground garlic
4. Roll out the dough using a rolling pin and cut out into shapes.
5. Pop onto baking paper & into the oven for 10/12 minutes at 180 until golden.
Can be frozen for 3 months.
Take a look at lots more yummy recipes for the whole family here.